What is Update Set ?
An update set is a group of customizations that can be moved from one instance to another. For example, a set of enhancements to incident management can be grouped in an update set called Incident Management 2.0. While Incident Management 2.0 is marked as the current update set, all changes are tracked in it.
How to migrate Update Sets from One instance to other instance?
- Search for 'Local Update Sets'
- Click on 'New', Enter all the required info , click on 'Submit and Make Current'
- Make all the changes
- If you happen to switch to different update set and make some other changes on other update set, you can always switch to different update set by clicking on 'Gear' symbol on top right hand corner of your service now instance
- Click on 'Developer'
- Choose the 'Update Set' which you want to switch
- Once all your changes done on your Update Set, You have to move this to other Service Now Instance (Target instance )
- Click on your Update Set from 'Local Update Set' module
- Modify the state to 'Completed'
- Click on 'Export to XML' and save to your preferred Location
- Login to Target Service Now Instance where you want to copy Update Set transactions
- Click on 'Retrieved Update Sets'
- Click on 'Import Update Set from XML' link on bottom of all 'Retrieved Update Set' results.
- Select the 'Update Set XML' which you have stored on your preferred location and click on 'Upload'
- Click on your Update Set from 'Retrieved Update Sets' after completing above step, then click on 'Run Preview' button, verify all the errors and after resolving any errors found, click on 'Update and Commit'
- This will copy all your customizations in update set to Target Service Now Instance
- Go to Source Service Now Instance
- Click on 'Update Sources' module
- Select the Target Service Now Instance , If you can't find, then create
- click on 'Retrieve Completed Update Set's
- This will transfer all the 'completed' update sets into target instance.